Monday, June 8, 2009

"Ahhhh....summer!"

by Julie Anne Thornton

Okay, so it's here. School's out, the sprinkler's are on, and I am armed with enough sunblock to protect an army, or my army at least. Liquid protection for my miniature soldiers who stand at the front of the battlefield formerly known as home, but now since transformed into a lair of strict strategy.

I have to be shrewd, cunning in my effort to keep my troop from the leering threat of summer melt down. With a determined brow, I solemnly vow the words "We're bored" will not wave its menacing face within the walls of our fort.

I know, I hear your snickering. Go ahead, you can say it. Good luck sweetheart! The same sentiments haunted my head...but I forced them out, remaining firm--loyal to my goal.

Organized job schedules, piano practice, and structured reading time...and what happens?
Before I can take some sort, any sort of evasive action, the voices come. "What can we do? We're (oh no, please don't say it. Please...) bored!"

Auggghhhh!

Take a deep breath, and then another. Think of a soothing...hold on. It appears a diaper clad soldier is clutching at my pant-leg and hollering through dramatic tears about something. What? Your doll...outside...over the fence?

Time to call in for reinforcements.

"Honey...when are you coming home?"

5 comments:

Megan said...

I love it! How in the world am I supposed to keep these kids of mine entertained?? I am exhausted and it's barely summer.
I really am the worst Visiting Teacher ever! I am so sorry, I swear I will get my act together and call Nicole and set something up soon.
If you need anything please let me know!
So what do you think about New Moon...did you see the trailer?

Sudar Clan said...

All I can say is thank heaven for movies!

Unknown said...

It's time for your kids to get jobs, Julie, and become contributing members of society! ;-)

-- Mal.

Christy said...

Why is it that we can have the best plans, and always boredom sets in - even in the first week of summer! I've tried no schedule summers, heavily scheduled summers and middle ground, still there is boredom. The good thing with big kids, you can train them that if they say their bored they get more jobs. All it takes is a little reminding, "would you like to scrub the walls?" (do it smiling in a sweet voice). :) happy summer!

Unknown said...

Maybe it's time for a little winter-themed post?

-- Mal.