Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Festival of Trees

by Julie Anne Thornton

Through the air wafts the scent of fresh baked cinnamon bread and the muffle of hundreds of festive voices fills my ears. The cold rush of air disappears behind me as I enter through the wide metal doors.

It is only the beginning of my five hour journey within the carefully laid out square of rectangular tables flooded with mountains of mouth-watering treats.

Caramel colored peanut brittle and chocolate chip cookies the size of my hand hold my attention first, but are soon forgotten as I watch several soft strands of pink cotton candy sail effortlessly through the sweet-ladened air.

The weightless webs of sugar as they feather themselves above the head of unsuspecting festival goers, darting and flithering about, until finally making their escape from the bustling square of sweets and into the sea of twinkling cone-shaped lights.

I follow the wandering cotton down the linear path of meticulously decorated evergreen trees, row after row, awestruck with the labor of time, talent, and love individuals gifted in bringing such bright illumination to the seemingly endless ceiling of the exposition center.

I picture the lightened sky above me as more than just a ceiling, but a representation of something much more...a brightening of human hearts; hearts darkened by the cruel hand of disease, illness, and other physical obstacles.

I feel honored to be among these earthly angels, all giving a portion of themselves to those whom so much had been taken. Hundreds of volunteers, giving what they can, to help light one more encouraging bulb within the heart of a challenged family.

For those of you who do not know, the Festival of Trees is a fundraiser produced annually for Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake City, Utah. It is vital in helping raise funds for the treatment of children who's families do not otherwise have the means to pay for such astronomical expenses.

One hundred percent of all donations recieved through the fundraiser go directly to the hospital.

It is truly a labor of love.

I am grateful to all those who sacrificed intangible as well as monetary gifts to those precious children who struggle for nothing more than health and peace.

Merry Christmas and God Bless You!

3 comments:

Christy said...

That is beautiful!

Unknown said...

Is this the Festival that your parents told me about, where you can actually buy a decorated tree?

Megan said...

You've got talent.
I am going to add your blog to my blog list k!! : )